Friday, July 13, 2012

Winning my First Medal: 2nd place

One thing I like about competition, it exposes my weaknesses. Although it doesn't necessarily come to my advantage *during competition*, it gives me insight on what I need to work on for the future.

And that's exactly what I did.


Competing at the Burn Room Crossfit Throw Down event today (13/7/20122) was, well, interesting. There were a total of four events, and they have announced the workouts, except the final, just two days ahead of the event.

First workout was:

300m Run
21 deadlifts @ 95lbs
200m Run
15 deadlifts @ 135lbs
100m Run
9 deadlifts @ 185lbs

*10 minute time cap


I knew that running is one of my weaknesses and that it was going to suck. So I paced myself in the runs. Deadlifts were okay, but that 185lbs after the run and the volume before it, my lower back was fried. I got a total of 42 reps, and I knew I have done my best in that workout, even though I wasn't entirely happy with my performance. But I knew, there is nothing I can do about it, it was a true all-out effort and that was good enough!

Second workout: 

As many reps as possible of:

1 minute of handstand pushups
2 minutes of box jumps @ 24 inch
2 minutes of kettlebell swings @ 16kgs
1 minute of burpees.


I was so excited for this workout, why? Damn I spent so much time trying to learn handstand push ups for the Crossfit Asia Regional Competition that took place 2 months ago. And all that hard work definitely paid off. I was able to rep 3 HSPU in a row & under a minute. That itself was a PR for me. And that's the coolest thing about the competitions, the butterflies in your stomach before you hear the 3,2,1...GO! can really add to your performance if you had the right mentality. I finished with a total of 98 reps.

Third Workout


12 minute cap:


3 overhead squats @ 65lbs
3 pull ups
6 overhead squats @ 65lbs
6 pull ups
etc....


This is the kind of workout I truly like and find enjoyable. However, I have to admit - I had a bit of a mental block with this workout. I achieved - in a way - what I aimed for, which was finish the 12s, but boy those OHS felt like something else. The weight itself was not necessarily heavy, however, my level of balance is completely off,especially having stopped going overhead in the past 6-8 weeks to allow my back to recover from a condition. Although I gave myself that excuse (not a good thing), I realized why I didn't do better or more in this particular workout, when I thought I will smash it. I got a total of 60 reps here.


After the third workout, they announced the top 5 men and women, and I was excited to hear my name! I actually had a shot of making into the top 3 given the cumulative of my previous scores!


There is that moment where you need to talk to yourself before a competition to tell yourself, this is it. You have this ONE chance. One moment to achieve what you came for, and that's what I did in this final workout.

So, fourth and final workout was:

60 Double Unders
50 wall balls @ 20lbs
40 Knees to Elbows
30 Sumo Deadlift high pull @ 16kgs
20 dips
10 squat cleans @ 95lbs.

* 20 minute time cap.

 
Whew. That was one long and killer of a workout. For me, wall balls were the hardest movements I had to do. I have always struggled with wall balls and had quite some misses. Especially with the ball being about 9kgs, I knew going in that will slow me down, and that was OK. I knew I could do the other movements if I broke them down into a specific pattern and still be able to get a decent score. However, surprisingly, I didn't just have a decent score, I have reached the point where I finished with 11 dips, putting me ahead. In the final workout, the main thing that kept me going and what I learned from previous competitions, is. STAY COOL. SHAKE IT OUT. FOCUS. & get back into the movement. Literally, my dips were one rep at a time. So I finished with a total of 191 reps.

The cumulative of my four scores have left me getting my first medal at 2ND PLACE! 



When they called out the 3rd name, I thought...damn, I wanted to make it top 3. Until, the organizer was looking for the 2nd place winner, and it was quiet...and suddenly I hear my name, I jump with excitement and I ran to the podium saying "Yey! My first time!" 
& everyone, obviously, laughed. I am cheesy like that =P.
  
Few days ago, when I was looking at a pictures of the medals on Facebook, I said, "damn, it would be nice to have one of those around my neck for once." I visualized it. For fun, more than anything else, really. But it shows the power of visualization and mental focus when it comes to competing. Believe it. Mentally see it, and let your body do the work.


Honestly, winning second place was NOT anticipated AT ALL. But I believe giving and doing your best has it's own way of rewarding you, and all the training sessions you had, the sweat drops, blood and tears, is all worth it in the end. In many ways than just winning a medal. I have learned about further weaknesses I have in this competition, and knowing what I am capable of achieving, I want to work hard, to progress further and be my best.

Until next time!




No comments: