Thursday, July 26, 2012

My Ramadan 2012: Training and Nutrition

Today I came across THIS article on people being hospitalized from stomach pains after their first meal (iftar) after a fast during Ramadan.

Reading such news saddens me as people more often than not neglect the essence of what Ramadan is. Yes, you've fasted for more than half a day, it doesn't mean when it's feeding time you attack the food in front of you.

To those who don't know, Ramadan is the 9th month in the Islamic Calendar where Muslims all over the world fast from dawn to dusk. In this holy month, we observe a complete fast from drinking (water, juice..etc.), food, sexual activities (those married), bad acts and talk during the daily fast. We work toward being better Muslims, learn discipline, pray more and last but not least, feel for the poor.

The reason why I am writing this post is because I want to share with you my experience this Ramadan, how I am training, eating, compared to previous years, and hopefully you can pick a thing or two tips which you can follow for the remaining weeks of Ramadan.

Before I move forward, HERE is an article I wrote last year on training in Ramadan, titled "Exercising during Ramadan: Weightlifting and Cardio". And if you wait a few days, I have written article to a local sports paper that will have updated information on training and nutrition in Ramadan. Hopefully it will be published soon.

This is my third year training in Ramadan, so to a degree I had different Ramadan experiences and have learned a lot from each. I can confidently say that this Ramadan, by far, even though we are only one week in, has been the best so far from many aspects.

  • Energy levels
  • Digestion
  • Training sessions
  • Weight management

Some may say it is too early to tell. Hm. Maybe so. But I have been tuned with my body and the way it reacts with a lot of things in the past years, and I can assure you the routine that I have been following so far has been quite effective, for me. Also unlike last year, this year, I am an athlete and nutrition matters a tad bit more than it did before.

As a starter, earlier this year I have found out that I am intolerant to gluten and dairy. It has been a tough time to come in terms with the fact I *should* be off foods that contain both. Have I been? Periodically, yes. All the time? Not really.

In 2011 and 2010, majority of how I have been eating was based on the above mentioned food items, so things from pasta, cheese, bread, milk, yoghurt...and the list goes on. They made up I would say 70% of my diet. Comparing the way I felt having eaten those foods last year, with how I am eating this year, I can see a huge difference.

  • No dizzy spells
  • No irregular heart beats (I faced a lot of that) 
  • No indigestion issues 
  • No abdominal pain
  • No lack of energy during daytime and nighttime. 

So, what have I been eating, you must wonder! Well, for one, I haven't changed my diet to a large degree from how I used to eat during normal days. On average, I would be having either 2 or 3 meals in Ramadan, depending on the time I get the chance to train due to availability and accessibility.

Most of what I eat is high in protein, high in good fats, and good carb sources or those that I am not intolerant to such as, fruits, veggies, rice, potatoes, corn and some legumes. 

  • Protein sources: Meat, chicken, turkey, fish, eggs (if you're not intolerant to them)
  • Good fat sources: Avocados, extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, coconut milk, all kind of nuts
  • Carb sources:  Veggies, fruits, rice - brown being better -, sweet potato or potato, oatmeal.
This is NOT SAYING I don't have a few bites of the things I like at Iftar or Sahoor (pre-dawn meal, before the fast begins again). 90% of what I currently eat is what I mentioned above, with 10% being from things like gaimat and harees, traditional Emirati food, as well as few other sweets. However, I preserve majority of the sweet, sugary stuff for post-workout when they can be utilized better as spiking your insulin levels post workout has shown to increase protein absorption, excuse to eat ice-cream, but you didn't hear that here. Nope.

As for my training, I always believed and still strongly believe that training post Iftar is optimal and training pre-Iftar, while you're fasting can be detrimental. Maybe I am biased because I believe strength and muscle mass are far more superior to doing steady cardio. HERE is a great article by a well-known and respected strength and conditioning coach, Charles Poliquin on the negatives on Areobic training. You still want to walk on a treadmill? I hope not.

At the moment I train a few hours after iftar, to allow the food to digest and have time to hydrate. Lack of hydration can cause a lot of health problems. Hence all I think about after breaking my fast, is hydrate the heck out of your body!

Although it's been just a week of Ramadan, I have already got two new personal records, one of them being the first day of Ramadan with a 91.5kgsx6 deadlift and one yesterday with a 48.5kgsx3 front squat. Some say you lose strength in Ramadan, I beg to differ.

So what is it that is working for me? Below is one example of how I have eaten and trained in the past week of this Ramadan. 


Sahoor: Salmon, rocket salad with avocado, corn, and olives with 5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (YES, I have that many!) and balsamic vinegar. 
This meal helps keep my hunger at bay during daytime as eating high fat and high protein food are slow digesting and keep you feeling full longer as opposed to simple carbohydrates. 

Iftar: 500ml of water + chicken skewers, avocado, potatoes, few gaimat nibbles. 

After Iftar I immediately take my "super supplements", which are: 5000IU of Vitamin D, Omega-3 (either 1 or 2g), and Green Superfood (sometimes I drink it after water, rather post-meal). Don't do this unless you consult a doctor.

Snack: Before training I drink coffee (with coconut milk, no sugar) and a fruit.
  
Train at 10pm 
  
Post workout meal is not always consistent, sometimes I'd eat tuna mixed with olives or have an actual meal rice with chicken, based on time + magnesium.  I have stopped drinking whey or protein shakes since last year.
Sahoor: Cycle starts again with where I consume again another meat and veggies/salad source.
Water:  I drink at least 2.5-3L during the feeding window.


So yup, there is no secret to making the best gains or losing fat in Ramadan. Following a simple nutrition diet and training regime, and you're good to go. Neither will have an effect on your worship during the holy month with proper planning and dedication. There is a saying, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. 
Ramadan is not yet over, so I hope you picked a tip or two from my experience that will benefit you in your either nutrition or training. 

Feel free to leave comments ;) 

Yours truly,

   

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent food plan,how man daysu workout? How u manage ur time with tahajod and taraweeh?