Thursday, April 12, 2012

My Experience: CoreFit Games

I love competing. It's not like training - not close at all. There is a sense of adrenaline rush. Shaking off your fears and being your best. The crowd shouting your name in encouragement...and most of all, for me, it's breaking down some misconceptions. 

The competition, Corefit Games, was organised by Core Direction during the Good Health Gulf between 6-7 of April. I would say it was one of the best and well-organised local competition that I have been part of so far.

During the competition, a woman approached me and said: "A lot of people probably don't think you're strong because of your size, don't they?"

I replied saying "yes", with a smile.

There is nothing wrong with misconceptions, and to be honest - it's fun dispelling some of these misconception along my journey as an athlete. 

So what went down during the competition? Here's a short video! 



The first workout was a little devil - tough, required capacity, and some serious muscle endurance. The hardest part of the workout was simple - push ups. But I had to keep pushing through!

As for the second workout - I had two choices: 1) Do the workout as given, or 2) a scaled version (i.e. lesser weight load). The 40kgs is fairly heavy for someone my size and getting 10 reps and finish 3 rounds would've been tough.

However, I went there to compete, to show what I am made of, to push my body beyond what I think are my limits. I knew I have a 40kgs power clean. I've done it many times - just not the same repetition range. For me, in this workout, I knew I wouldn't score high enough, but I had to GO BIG or go home. I chose to go BIG.

I literally had to get 1 repetition at a time. I had a few misses, but to have done 10 power cleans with 40kgs was baffling to me - not only that, I finished one round and on top of that, I got 4 MORE power cleans (my 1RM is 45kgs). When the time cap was up - I was amazed by how well I did. Sometimes, in sport, you end up not surprising others, but yourself - and nothing feels better than that sense of achievement.

In the end of the day... I may not be the best out there, strongest, or fittest - but I have the heart and passion to be the best I can be for me, and I am strong for me. Not because of where I am from, what I wear, or my skin color - it's simple, because in the end, it's just Me vs. the Barbell.




For the full photo album, click HERE

Yours Truly,

2 comments:

Jes said...

Well done for defying barriers and smashing through it!
As a female trainer who is also 50kgs and 5'4, I know how it feels to be stereotyped at times!
Where do you train?

Anonymous said...

So proud of you ... You go girl!