Monday, September 5, 2011

Competing in my first crossfit event

I have been training for almost two years, but I got tired of just going to the gym for a typical gym workout, and not be able to use the physical strength I know I was developing. Waking up on a Saturday morning, my knees were hurting me as I injured it more than 3 months ago and it had a deep bruise. For some reason it resurfaced, but I still decided to compete at an event hosted by CrossFit LifeSpark Dubai.

In Crossfit, there is something called a WOD, which translates to Workout of the Day. On Saturday, the WOD was titled 31 Heros , and anyone could have been part of it. There is a story behind the WOD name so please click on the link above to know more.

Basically the workout required teamwork and it was 31 minutes long (very long for crossfit standards, but yesterday was a special case.) The team of two needed to finish as many rounds as possible (AMRAP) of the following:

8 thursters (me and my partner did 15kgs)
50 pull ups (I can physically do only 10 at one go MAXIMUM, so I had to rest before going onto the other reps, which got me looking like THIS! And yes, you are not supposed to look pretty while training ;).
11 box jumps (I did 24inches)



Photo credit: Tanya Gannon
While one person is the doing the above and going through each exercise, the other person is walking/running with 12kgs (females) 24kg (males) on their shoulders for a distance of 400m

So say I have finished 11 thursters, and 15 pull ups, when my partner would come in and finish the rest (35 pull ups and box jumps and I pick up the rest again after I have done the 400m walk. Going through the 3 exercises, with all reps, that's one round. My partner and I have finished 3 rounds + 5 box jumps.

Being part of the community and engaging in this competition was one of the most amazing and exciting things I have done regarding my fitness. It really makes me want to push harder and pursue a career in fitness and become an athlete. I met a lot of inspiring people, and everyone was rooting for everyone to keep pushing hard.

Hopefully, I will be part of another event on September the 24th, for this cause.

Yours truly,
GymFreak @999fitness

3 comments:

Ahmed said...

Good luck with your training, hope to see an Emirati in the Olympics soon. I used to workout just for fitness, nothing pro, but I lost momentum. Being the lazy person I am, whenever my training partner didn't go or stopped going altogether, I'd stop going too lol. The longest I've went to a gym is 3 months, and thats a record that I never broke til now.

Amna Al Haddad said...

Hey 3 months is a place to start with, how about we make it 3 onths and one day, and then 3 months and 2 days, and you'll be breaking a record of years. Just gotta pre-plan it, treat it like part of your day, not something you must do. I train because I LOVE IT. I love how it makes me feel and the results I have seen. It's all about taking that one step every day. Wish you the best of luck of maintaining that record. And remember you exercise for YOUR fitness, not your partner's!

Weight Management Los Angeles said...

Congratulations on getting your own domain :) See you there.